A Zentangle Doughnut for National Doughnut Day


This week's challenge by Adele celebrates National Doughnut Day. I was really keen to do this challenge because I like all the tangles she asked us to use and because I loved the string. 
Adele mentioned memories related to doughnuts and even though I grew up in and continue to live in India, I have a few memories as well. In my teens, they weren't available in the smaller towns but they were available in rather posh bakeries in the city I went to college in and we would occasionally be gifted some by family visiting us or indulge ourselves. Now about 30 years later, everywhere we turn, there's a doughnut place or a mall that's home to a Krispy Kreme or a Dunkin' Donuts that have been washed ashore in the wave of economic liberalisation that was set off over two decades ago. 

But guess what? I still prefer the fat and spongy doughnuts dusted with powdered sugar that I sank my teeth into all those years ago - sometimes they had a chocolate icing too - rather than the assembly line specimens we get now. One bite and they collapse, never mind the fancy fillings and icings and dressing-up they've got going all over and inside them. And I've never seen sprinkles on doughnuts here in my younger days.

We have doughnuts native to India too, called gaarelu. More commonly, they are savoury, but on occasion, can be made plain, without the onion and spices, and dipped in a mixture of sugar and ghee (clarified butter) - and they taste exactly like doughnuts then, even though they are made of lentils and not flour!

I know I'll cringe next week when I compare my doughnut art to the beauties submitted to Adele's event, but I thoroughly enjoyed doing this tile.  

Comments

  1. Thank you for this interesting story, I think the Indian gaarelu are much healthier than the American flour donuts. I like lentils and eat them very much. Long time ago, I have made a trekking in Nepal and we had a short stop in New Deli but I didn't see much of your country. In Belgium there are many Indian restaurants and I like the tasty vegetarian kitchen.
    Your donuts have pleasant colours and it is a cheerful tile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ria, for your comment. Gaarelu are more commonly called vada in India, so the next time you go to an Indian restaurant, do ask for vadas and try them! I don't think you'll be disappointed!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts