How I Fixed My Zentangle Tiles


I know there are "no mistakes" in Zentangle, but often, I wish I could repair/redo some of the art I attempt. This was one occasion where I did that to something I was totally satisfied with.





This is a portion of the original drawing that I did using Ria Matheussen's tangles Mazorito, Hexa and Horti, which was the challenge Adele set for this week in IAST 256. I loved the way Mazorito turned out, but was not happy with the Horti at all. I covered everything except the centre Hexa with black and I liked it for a while. The Hexa began to resemble a rocket, then it turned into a turtle and then it just began to look not so great, to my eyes. So I covered that up too, with black.

However, I had had to use a mixture of Sakura pens and permanent marker as I did not have a brush pen with me. That resulted in an uneven black surface which showed up on the tile and in the photos, so to take the attention off it, I added the white dots in the centre. I would have left the centre totally black if it had not been full of the impressions of the pen strokes.


Mazorito makes a wonderful border!


The border tangle was too good to let go, so I began working on another piece, a tan tile this time. I had taken my phone upstairs to charge it, and I was downstairs. I wanted to get on with it so I drew the Hexa from memory, without consulting the step-outs, and got it wrong. But I let it be, and continued with the tile, using Horti as little embellishments around the border rather than as a filler. I kept adding details of white one by one, and the white in the centre was to take the attention of the uneven spaces of the grid. I even thought it was perfect and didn't attempt any shading.

So this is how I repaired my tiles and felt content with how they had turned out. 

Comments

Popular Posts