Traditional Indian Designs as Strings


My latest work of Zentangle-inspired art is this turmeric-dyed Zendala tile. The string for it comes from a traditional Indian art varyingly called Muggu/ Kolam/ Rangoli, among others. There are differences but there are many similarities as well. The lotus motif (padmam) is a very popular one and the basis of many muggulu, and I used one to make this Zendala.


You can see the centre motif that we refer to as the lotus in this tradition. Here's a video that shows you how such designs are drawn. 

Pre-shading, this is how it looked.

My challenge, of course, was to make it look more like a Zentangle tile than a muggu. I spent a fair amount of time looking up tangles and Zendalas on the Internet before tweaking the features of the design to make it a little more original as a string. As the inspiration began with a lotus, I ended the tile by using Lotus Pods, by Margaret Bremner, CZT. The other tangles I used and know the names of include Zentangle originals Printemps, Zinger and Nekton. I didn't fill in the spaces between the pods as I wanted the turmeric yellow and other streaks to come through. Some colour from a couple of Derwent Inktense pencils went into the shading.


Comments

  1. This is lovely. Actually, I just had a wander through a few of your posts and I'm delighted with what I see. This is all because you commented on my post so I came looking to find out whoit was with the same artistic doubts and then one post led to another. You have given me a very happy half hour, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maggibee! I don't really think of myself as an artist but I enjoy dabbling in it. A beginner, still, after three years of Zentangle. I do think I do better, though, when I'm drawing totally on my own (and not for any challenge).

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts