Serendipity in a Purple Patch - Zentangle-Inspired Art


The last time I did Zentangle on canvas, a few months ago, I didn't know I had to prime the canvas. The person at the art store just handed out a permanent marker and said I could use that and use it I did! Only later did I know that a canvas had to be prepared first! This time, I applied some Gesso to it and left it alone for several days. When I returned to it, I was sure to draw on it with pencil first as I intended to gift it to someone and wanted to do a neat job. I have a long way to go - or a class to take - in priming a canvas, I know.

Some of the design is inspired by a ZIA I saw on Instagram by @doristangles. However, the colours and half of the tangles are my choice. I filled in the dark areas with black permanent marker --- until I realised much, much later that it was brown. As I was putting white on the Marasu, it began to glow purple! I loved the effect! I still don't know if the marker was brown or a blackish purple, but whatever it was, I think it lit up my canvas. Hesitantly, I experimented with the thin lines in the band of Shattuck to the right. Then I tried to balance it on the right and the left and stopped when the left began to look wobbly. I'm happy, but. And I'm thrilled with the marker. I can't remember where I got it from, it says CD/DVD marker so I'm wondering if it's mine at all or belongs to someone else in the house or strayed in somehow. But I'm not going to find out. Finders keepers.

PS: This piece is on its way to a friend. I can only hope she likes it as much as I did.

Comments

Popular Posts